Monday, July 14, 2008

Greetings and Salutations!

So here I am! After much urging on the part of a special lady, I am putting the chaotic issue of my brain and fingers out here in the world for all to see. Several years ago I had a failed attempt at a never-updated MySpace page...and now also because of said lady I am even on Facebook. So as the next baby step, I am now rambling here on Blogspot for all to see. Maybe it will be good for goofy shit, maybe some thoughtful shit, or maybe just plain shit; only time will tell.


A little about myself:


I grew up in Greenville, Mississippi, which with great affection I refer to as the armpit of the South. It was a place marinated in sweat, racism, catfish, and The Blues. The sweat and the racism I do not miss, but lordy do I long for the music and the catfish fries during Lent. I'm in the Atlanta GA area now, a place with it's own claim to sweaty summers, but it's really not quite as bad. Only rarely here can you actually grab a handful of air and fling it against a wall so that it makes a splat sound. And the mosquitoes here are like weak, spindly cousins to the ones back in the Mississippi Delta. Here you generally can't look up at a streetlamp on a summer night and have the glow be blurred by a cloud of ravenous, winged, puppy-sized bloodsuckers. As cliche as it is, I am contractually obligated to say (it's in the city's charter I think) "It ain't the heat; it's the humidity."


This country mouse became a city mouse in 1993, the middle of my junior year of high school, when I moved with my family to a suburb of Atlanta called Snellville. I guess I say city mouse, but the urban sprawl here is so bad that nearly all of Georgia is a suburb of Atlanta. I finished out the school year and spent a summer at Emory University in a Theological program at the Candler School of Theology. This was a big spiritual milestone for me, but I'm sure I'll get into spiritual stuff later. Senior year was when I discovered acting, which I'm still doing today. That's my calling; despite whatever day job I may have to pay the bills.


I went on to the University of Georgia, where I got a degree in English with a minor in drunken nonsense. UGA is actually a leading educator in the field of drunken nonsense globally. The slogan "A drinking school with a football problem" emblazoned on t-shirts for sale all over Athens is quite apt. I had actually started out in the Broadcast Journalism major, until I first confronted the technology involved. Then I bolted and became an English major. Now I work in the Information Technology field. Go figure.


I earned my Masters in IT from American Intercontinental University...which was a very expensive grade factory. I know I didn't deserve the grades I got at that place. But I did learn some valuable skills for Corporate America, such as hiding behind your more skillful teammates, placing blame, and saying "That's not in my job description."


At some point during the Master's Program I married my girlfriend from college. This lasted seven years; but I'm not sure how much I'll go into that relationship here. We separated last January and divorced in May. Since Im not really much for therapy, I spent the time alone working on myself. I lost 80 pounds thanks to the South Beach Diet and a kickass commercial gym in my new apartment complex. About four months later, on OkCupid.com I met the lady I'm supposed to be with, this sexy, geeky, tattooed mystical wise woman with two children. And she's ultimately to blame for these nonsensical ramblings you are reading now. :-)

So that's it then, my first post. Hopefully I'll be back to ramble some more. Until then, cheers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogging jungle! May your words live long and prosper. So sayeth the sexy, geeky, tattooed mystical wise woman. Ah, you do know how to butter a girl up...

Umm. Wait, that didn't sound quite right, did it...

Bexley said...

Just thinking of "that special woman" all buttered up...I can use that for maybe 2-3 days before moving on.

I like what you put down here. I'm thinking about blogging myself, but too lazy to open up a new account. So I'll blog vicariously through comments on your blog. Ultimately my goal would be to post comments that are actually longer than your blog, and then to get more comments on my comments than comments on your blog. This is because I'm not only lazy, but also a dick. I'm a lazy dick.

Bexley said...

Oh! So my stuff has to be "approved" by the blog owner. Well you can "approve" this right here...and by this I mean the junk I would be groping and flailing about.

Rambling Rogue said...

I only set the moderation to avoid spam posts. As both a reassurance and a warning, I pledge to post everything you comment on, robert. The consequences of not heeding that warning will be ninja kicks to the nuts from the "special lady."

Bexley said...

So do the ninja kicks of swift and certain judgement come to me or you? Because, truth be told, I'm good either way.

Rambling Rogue said...

To you. You are my human shield, praise be to Allah.

Bexley said...

If Wildspark destroys me with her Righteous Hurricane Kick of Immediate Doom (tm), will I get 72 virgins in Heaven? Cause really, I'd prefer 72 well experienced chicks.