Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Prodigal's Manifesto

I've been going back to Mass for a couple of months now, maybe twice a month. I'd actually like to go more often, but it gets hard to give up those lazy mornings on Sundays since I've been working earlier during the week. But hey, it's a start.

My relationship with God has been pretty chaotic the past few years. It took a pretty hard hit when two very good friends lost their baby due to a premature birth. When the situation began to unfold, I turned to God to pray for them. It had been quite a while since I had done so, but it seemed like the right thing to do. I really put their situation out there to family, friends, co-workers, anyone whom I knew were praying folk. I asked them to join in. And the little girl did not make it.

I wrestled with that for a long time, and came to the conclusion that I didn't believe in a Santa Clause god any more. I sneered internally at anyone who prayed for specific things, like more money, to save someone from death, to heal someone that was sick, etc. My view was, and to some extent still is, that God's not going to give you what you ask for. I resolved to stop turning to God for help with my problems and the problems of others. And I stopped going to Mass. Not that I'd been a regular butt in the pew anyway, but I pretty much gave it up completely, except for Christmas and Easter as a family tradition. What's interesting is that my friends became stronger in their faith after their loss.

A couple years later I prayed again when my wife asked for a divorce. It was only really the one night when I was at rock bottom, staying downstairs in my parents house, wracked and writhing with actual physical pain from the broken heart. That was the night I prayed. I started to pray for us to get back together, and then I stopped. Because it didn't feel right. Instead I prayed for the strength to get through it, whatever happened with me and the wife. And I immediately felt at peace . Which didn't last forever, of course. Divorce is a damned difficult thing to get through, especially if you're the one getting left. But I think that's when the healing started.

But then the damnedest things started happening. I started to eat better and exercise, for one. Partly out of spite; one of the ex's complaints was that I didn't take care of myself. And a small part was hoping it would help change her mind. But after those two reasons faded, I found I had the will and determination to keep going because I just felt too bloody good not to. Then a new job opportunity presented itself in a different area of the company. Still in the Atlanta area, I'd still be close to my circle of support. More money. A more successful and self-managed IT department. And when I went to the interview I found the area to be really cool, in a college town atmosphere, and I liked the people I met a lot. So I took the job, moved to an apartment right around the corner from the new office, and continued to heal.

Of course most of this is hindsight in the spiritual sense. I didn't recognize any of this as an answer to that prayer. I guess I started awakening spiritually when I met Wildspark. She was my dream girl: geeky, intelligent, sexy, spiritual, and tattooed (hawt!). I feel like she completes me in ways I didn't even know I needed.

Perhaps I'd finally learned how to pray properly, because it feels like I hit the jackpot. :-)

The first step in awakening was getting me started on yoga (Thanks, honey). I had been working out nearly every day since the separation last January, and my back trouble had lessened a lot, but the sciatica still flared up occasionally and I was having a lot of knee pain. So I came to yoga for the physical benefits and stayed for the spiritual. If you don't know much about it, on the surface it's a combination of deep breathing and stretching exercises. But as a spiritual practice...well, I'm not very educated in the history of it and how it was used religiously, so I can only describe how it makes me feel. After a practice I get that same kind of peaceful, detached, clean feeling that I get now after I go to Mass. So I think the yoga sort of emptied out my spirit of all the garbage that had been building up in it for years.

Wildspark and I come from completely different traditions, but I had always been of the mind that any religion, Christian or no, is just a different path to the same place. That place being a oneness with God, Goddess, Christ, Buddah, Allah, or whatever mask of God resonates with a person. I had allowed myself to stray from that path due to the suffering I saw around me, from lurking on Internet forums watching atheists pat each other on the back and arguing with straw men against the existence of God, complaining about Christianity. I look on a lot of that now as groupthink, but there are admittedly some good arguments out there.

Anywho, Wildspark loaned me this book by Joseph Campbell, who I already respected as a scholar, but hadn't read any of his stuff in quite awhile. The title is "Thou Art That", and it's a collection of lectures, interviews, and essays about Judeo-Christian mythology. What's that you say? "Hellfar and damnation, boy, I'm gone pray fer yew, that there Bible ain't no mythology, it's The Truth! 100% Factyool!" Yeah, well, just hold on there Bubba, I ain't done yet.

Part of what had given me so much trouble about the Bible and Christianity is that both Atheists and Christians get so bent out of shape about whether it's fact or fiction, and I got sucked into that mindset. In reading Campbell's work it suddenly hit me that, ya know what? It doesn't freakin' matter! It's neither. Campbell talks about the concept of religious metaphor, which is something above both fact and fiction.

Any mythology boiled down is a collection of stories. What makes them religious metaphor is that the characters and the lessons their trials, journeys and adventures teach resonate with people. To such an extent that the traditions and rituals that build up around these stories become a means of getting in touch with the Divine spark in all of us. One's religion is a matter of finding the stories and lessons that resonate with one's spirit and internalizing them. Sometimes it's difficult; sacred texts are hard to get through, and I hadn't really done that work before. Often one has to take these stories, images, metaphors and lessons intended for a completely different culture and time and find a way to make them work in one's own space and time.

I used to ask myself, "If you have to work so hard to force these writings to make sense in the modern times, then how can they be the Word of God? Shouldn't these truths be immediately apparent?" Now I realize I didn't want and need to do the work at that time in my life, so I manufactured questions to prevent me from doing it. It SHOULD be work, you aren't rewarded for the things you don't work at. And the reward for this work is enlightenment.

What do I need now? I need that spiritually clean feeling regularly, that enlightenment I feel from the meditation on my own and from the rituals of Mass that I was raised in. I'm seeing new meanings in these symbols because I have divorced myself from the "fact vs. fiction" debate. I find this meaning grounds me, centers me. I feel like I can take on what comes during the week if I make the time to get to that space. I used to feel ashamed of this need I think. Ashamed that it made me less intellectual, less logical, which I always strove to be. But no, not anymore.

By connecting with the Divine in myself, which is how God truly made us in His image, I feel more human than I ever have.

Good night.

4 comments:

wildspark said...

What a wonderful post, my love. I have so much to comment on, but I have to get ready for work!

For now, I simply want to witness this post... the work you have done to open yourself up more fully... and the beauty (in a very manly sense, mind you) of you.

wildspark said...

Okay, as promised... :)

I hardly know where to dive in! It's been an amazing journey with you thus far, and I feel so honored to have been a something of a catalyst for your spiritual awakening. You have been the same for me, because witnessing this journey of yours has caused me to take pause for thought and to look at some things with a different eye. It is a blessing to have a partner with whom I can share these things.

Prayer. It's a funny thing. I think we, as humans, can get caught up in praying for an immediate fix to a situation... what we really should be praying for is strenth, wisdom, grace to see us through whatever it is we face. So, when you say that you may have finally learned to pray 'right' on that rock bottom night-- I think you did. The Divine is not there to fix things for us, the Divine is there to support us and love us in our own healing and growth as we learn to fix our own problems. Just as a parent does for his or her child. If we don't make mistakes, fall down and go boom, we don't learn how to pick ourselves up and carry on. Bad things happen, and we don't always understand why, but we do have to trust that there is some greater plan at work and that we are learning something that we are supposed to learn.

And in regards to the whole "fact vs. fiction", well... mythology is meant to act as a pathway to deeper understanding about ourselves, our lives, and the world we live in. It doesn't matter if it 'really happened'. If you are getting something out of it-- if you are learning and growing-- than it is doing exactly what it was intended to do. We are meant to have a balance between intellect and spirit; one does not negate the other, and neither should have more importance than the other. It's all about the balance, darlin'. I'm a Libra-- I ought to know! ::grin::

Bexley said...

Like Wildspark...I hardly know where to begin. Not to criticize, I would suggest that you repost this, but a piece at a time and then expand on each thought over a period of days, that would also allow others to take in each piece of information, ruminate on it, and the free exchange of ideas can really be expressed.

That said, what I mighty leap you are taking in your expanding spiritual journey. I am actually very glad you are going to mass more regularly. You always seemed the most content when you were actively exploring your spirituality and communing with our Creator. The ritual of the old faiths has as much meaning, if not more, than in the days of old. They may have more meaning because we NEED something to have meaning. Before, the Church was all people had to connect each other and themselves to things outside their very small worlds. Now, however, our world is like a marble, we can touch almost every part of it; there are few places on this planet that seem out of reach. As such we need to connect with the old religions, to reconnect with our ancestors' ways.

Your suffering and doubt is universal my friend, and your path is well tread and should be easy to follow if you know where to look and to whom to ask directions. You have an amazing and gifted guide right at your fingertips (figuratively and literally) which is a blessing.

If there's anything I can do to assist or if you'd like me to engage you in any conversation or discussion on this topic, you know you can wake me up at 3 in the morning and I would be ready to go.

Rambling Rogue said...

Interesting you should mention the "old faiths". It brings to mind some of the things running through my head when I had the epiphany that started this spiritual awakening. Keep an eye out for that post, coming soon.