Friday, July 18, 2008

My Big Fat Greek Rehearsal

So, ok, maybe Midsummer won't be so bad. There was a notable improvement in lines last night, though Act V is still pretty shaky. We had a full cast of mechanicals (the dumb peasant workmen putting on the play for the Duke) for the first time. While Bottom should be the central focus of that scene, the guy playing Flute (who plays Thisbe in drag) stole the scene from him. Something about his face and voice just cracks me up. He's a tall, almost pretty man, without being effeminate or anything, but he has some quality that just makes the performance hilarious. Can't put my finger on it, really. It just works. Seeing him in drag will cement that scene together completely I think.

The director had two weeks off for a family trip, while the stage manager ran the first off-script rehearsals. So tonight was the first time the director saw us do Act V. I had actually been pretty proud of all of us, because last night was the best we had done Act V, but when I saw the thunder cross the director's face, I thought "Ok, iz not so gud, akshully." But she recognized we'd been working hard on it. For the first time, I think it will be all right to invite people to see.

Still, I'm ready for a new theatre I think. The lack of publicity and financial support from the Arts Center is starting to wear on me. Also, the managing director got a job with the State Department and is gone, so I have a feeling the operations are gonna be in chaos for a while.

I will be glad for the break when this one is done. I had to stay for measurements after rehearsal, then got home and worked out. Finally got to bed around midnight and slept like the dead. Starting to feel kinda old for these long days...

3 comments:

wildspark said...

You're still a young'un... just wait until you get to be my old and decrepit age. ;-)

Rambling Rogue said...

"It's not the age, honey. it's the mileage."

Ive been wanting an opportunity to use that quote for years!

Rambling Rogue said...

That was meant to imply that "I" had a lot of mileage. Not you. Um....yes. I'll go back to my hole now.